2015.07.08 Daily Dose: Meet and Greet! Plus, Continued Growth and Guidelines
The Daily Dose is a user-created discussion series where Snapzu members can check in with each other in a relaxed environment.
We are experimenting with different formats and ideas, so feedback is very welcome!
What a difference a week has made! Before the most recent incoming class, we were a small, tight-knit community of maybe 6,000 users. Indeed, most were inactive, so those of us who frequented the site were all recognizable to each other. It was noticeable when a new snap was posted, and everyone seemed to be on the same wavelength in regard to site policy. It was truly a comfortable existence, but it was also lacking something. Apparently, that something was all of you!
Over the span of a few days, we have welcomed close to 5,000 new members. That's not even the most impressive statistic: there are perhaps 10,000 pending invites, meaning our community will have nearly quadrupled by the end of this massive wave. The site has been energized and, thanks to this growth spurt, we can look forward to great things.
There has been a lot of discussion on how to behave here at Snapzu. It's no secret that most of the new members have come from reddit, and so there is some expectation that this community will cater to the needs of redditors. What's been made clear is that Snapzu is not reddit, nor does it seek to become reddit. This is Snapzu — we have our own culture, our own rules, our own unique features and qualities. We would all do well to remember that, and adopt a new paradigm if necessary. Many of the new users have graciously pointed this out, so thank you.
While it's important to respect what was, it'd be stupid to resist good or necessary change. This site will grow and shift along with its user base. What's vital is that, through this period and beyond, we decide to embody the community we want to be. By fostering a culture of positivity, we can fight the decline into oblivion that has turned other communities into cesspits. This is an opportunity to create something new — something better!
How can you join the community effort? Here's some advice:
- Take part in discussions regarding site policy.
- Ask questions! Snapzu veterans are all around, and they're glad to help. You can PM users by following them.
- Read the rules! Whatever tribe you're posting in, remember to check the rules first. This is especially pertinent when you post to multiple tribes.
- Don't downvote something if it's not breaking any rules. You may disagree, but someone is bound to disagree with you, and wouldn't you like your voice to be heard and respected? Spite people, if you must, by not upvoting them. Better yet, talk it out.
- Encourage good behavior and call out or report bad behavior when you see it.
- Leveling and reputation make Snapzu a lot more fun than reddit, but focus on making contributions to the community and you'll have an even better time. You'll find that we really appreciate the effort that goes into a quality post.
- A Note on Sharing Photos
- Existing Threads on Frequently Asked Questions
By now, many of you have experienced the excitement of starting or claiming a tribe. We know — it's loads of fun! It's also a huge responsibility, so make sure you're up for the task.
Here are a few points for your consideration:
- Any new user can create or claim a tribe. Before you do, it's a good idea to understand how Snapzu works. Spend some time exploring, contributing, and getting used to the community. Only then can you truly know how to best run your tribe in this context.
- Look around. Are you creating a tribe that already exists? If so, is it worth creating redundancies and splitting up users who could be hanging out in one place? As much as you want to be chief, consider that being a moderator or even just an invaluable user may be better for everyone.
- Is your tribe a copy of a subreddit? That's not necessarily a bad thing — there are good ideas that can thrive in this community. However, if the tribe is clearly emulating reddit culture, which doesn't even exist here, then it's only a shallow attempt at turning Snapzu into reddit. So, keep your motivations in check.
- When choosing a name for your tribe, be thoughtful. Let's leave tribe names to their best, most common uses. Wouldn't it be a little awkward if someone created /t/chocolate to discuss the 2008 film and not the delicious treat that more people are familiar with? Or /t/windows in our walls and not on our computers? /t/eagles (bird) instead of /t/theeagles (band) or /t/philadelphiaeagles (team)? Help everyone out and be specific.
- There's a FAQ and here are some tips.
Meet and Greet
This is something we did a little while back, but it makes sense to do it again with all the new members. It was originally a way to get to know the familiar faces we were seeing, but now it's a way to connect amidst all the unfamiliar faces! Share as much or as little as you feel comfortable with. You can use the following as a guideline (add or take away categories):
- location: New York
- interests/hobbies: philosophy, psychology, guitar, tennis
- 5 music artists: Radiohead, Pixies, Crystal Castles, Pulp, Queen
- 5 films: Oldboy, Gattaca, American Psycho, Fight Club, Spaghetti Westerns
- 5 shows: Game of Thrones, Arrested Development, Archer, Firefly, Twin Peaks
- 5 games: StarCraft, Diablo, Left 4 Dead, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Sims 3 (I like to build houses)
- 5 books/authors: Haruki Murakami, Kurt Vonnegut, Ernest Hemingway, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Harry Potter!
- favorite tribes: my own, /t/lounge, /t/books, /t/newyorkcity
- a dream/goal of mine: to go into outer space
- two truths and a lie: (1) I can run 100 meters in 10 seconds, (2) I read a book per week, (3) I don't know how to drive
Note: At the moment, bulleted lists don't work in comments, so you're better off using a hard return to format.
Call people out on their lies :) If you like, you can wait until several people have guessed before revealing the truth.
Follow people who intrigue you or have the same interests. Maybe you can get together and create a tribe!
Elsewhere on Snapzu