Fairy washing up liquid on a Granny Smith apple. Unexpected and deeply vile.
Why did this happen?
I was five at the time. My mum used to make up bubble-blowing solution for me to play with. I was not normally a careless child, but accidents happen!
So just a kid not washing their hands? I thought you'd mixed them together out of curiosity or something.
My hands were most certainly washed! No, I think what happened was that I got too close to mum whilst she was squeezing fairy liquid and my apple received a splash. Thinking about it I do recall an unexpected splash of colour on my Granny Smith. Not wanting to waste any of my favourite apple I took a bite. Last time I ever ate anything odd looking without checking first, plus even if I had realised what it was I didn't at the time know what detergent tasted like. A worthwhile experiment I feel. Learned a lot from that bite.
My mum had been a nurse. Handwashing had become automatic by age two at the latest!