My hands were most certainly washed! No, I think what happened was that I got too close to mum whilst she was squeezing fairy liquid and my apple received a splash. Thinking about it I do recall an unexpected splash of colour on my Granny Smith. Not wanting to waste any of my favourite apple I took a bite. Last time I ever ate anything odd looking without checking first, plus even if I had realised what it was I didn't at the time know what detergent tasted like. A worthwhile experiment I feel. Learned a lot from that bite.
My mum had been a nurse. Handwashing had become automatic by age two at the latest!