Hospital fined after surgeon leaves towel inside patient
A California hospital has been fined $86,000 after a surgeon left a towel in a patient's stomach during surgery. The patient was treated at Community Regional Medical Center in Fresno in 2014 and weeks after the procedure, and he said he felt like he was dying. It appears that doctors were keeping count of medical tools used during surgeries, but not the blue towels. The hospital has changed its protocol after it nearly cost a patient his life.